Sunday 9 February 2014

Why Nightlife?


                                        VIEW OF PORT OF SPAIN FROM THE LOOKOUT
                                               Photo Credit: Chanel Glasgow & E. Ettienne


       When we were told to create a blog for my course in Urban Geography the first thing that came to mind was Nightlife. As a young adult living on the east-west corridor of Trinidad I spend most of my leisure time in Port of Spain, or as I like to call it, the "party city" of the Caribbean because it is always alive with social activity. The lights, the food, the music, the "lime". Port of Spain, the capital of Trinidad, is strategically located at the foothills of the northern range whilst resting along the north western coast not only is the view spectacular but its ideally accessible. First timers in Trinidad are always encouraged to visit the city, why? Its simple. There is something for everyone, and I mean everyone, to do. With Port of Spain being my main focus, there will be a few comparisons to other urban centers in Trinidad (Chaguanas and San Fernando) to see how urban nightlife culture may differ.




Photo Credit: Chanel Glasgow & E. Ettienne

      As a fellow socialite I often find myself visiting a number of clubs, lounges, bars, you name it.....just for the fun of it of course. However, one thing always interested me and that was the people. Where persons choose to spend their leisure time and why? What parts of Trinidad did they commute from? What do they consider most: cost, music, interest, dress codes, environment, friends, networking, etc. Even though there are many things to do, are your choices limited base on your ethnicity, class or finances? What other limitations might there be? All these questions I intend to answer in the upcoming weeks.

Feel free to leave a comment, question or even suggest what you may want to see as the weeks go by.

No comments:

Post a Comment